This happened, maybe a month and half ago during Theory of Computation lab internals.
I don't know which side I woke up on that day. The day before I totally ignored viva.
Entered lab at 8:30 am. I happily finished constructing NFA for a* and suffix and proper suffix in 30 minutes.
Was expecting Mr.SS to take viva (He always asks 2 questions: What is De Morgan's law and Kleene's Theorem?).
Unfortunately Ms.DP entered the lab (Ohhh my god!!! I am screwed). By that time Mr.SS had started viva for other students according to roll nos. Unfortunately my roll no is last. I think one of my friends called DP to verify output. Phew, I got some time to recollect some theory.
After verifying outputs, she saw me sitting idle and called me for viva. I knew that I will be banged up and down.
Made up my mind Seedhi Baat, No Bakwas. Answer only if you know.
Ms.DP: How much portions are covered till now?
Me: Ma'am ambiguous grammar.
Ms.DP: OK. What is ambigous grammar?
Me: A grammar for which there are two or more parse trees.
Ms.DP: OK. What is inherently ambiguous grammar?
Me: I don't know.
Ms.DP: You don't know!!! What are limitations of finite automata? Why do you use CFG?
Me: There can be only one terminal on RHS. But in a CFG there is no such restriction.
Ms.DP: You are telling me general limitation. Be more specific.
Me: (Don't know what to say. Kept staring at her).
Ms.DP: Which machine accepts CFG?
Me: (Aiyyo. Doosra and googly at same time). Ma'am I forgot.
Ms.DP: What is simple grammar?
Me: A simple grammar is of the form A->à... Ma'am I forgot.
Ms.DP: Where is CFG used?
Me: Compilers???
Ms.DP: Compilers use PDA. What are the steps of compilation?
Me: (4th sem System Programming) Ma'am Lexical analysis, Semantic analysis, Intermediate code generation, Object code generation, Linking and Loading.
Ms.DP: Tell me in general.
Me: (What??? Waiting for her to tell).
Ms.DP: Syntax analysis, blah blah blah.........
Meanwhile Mr.SS called Nevermind and Topper and started asking them same old questions. Lucky buggers.
But Ms.DP interrupted in between and started asking them same questions which she asked me earlier.
Good good good. I am not the unlucky one ;). There were more bakras waiting to be slayed by her.
She told me to take the record and leave the lab. Phew, the ordeal was over.
One of my friends told I got 3/5. Not bad.
Thursday, April 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
God has given you identity, don't call yourself ANONYMOUS.